Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Week

Well the weekend has been busy but in a non stressful way. Yesterday was gymnastics and Kevin played golf with a friend while Becca and I went to visit my friend (hubby golfing with Kevin). So we end up going to Sheila's place (that's the friend) and she hasn't seen my parents in a long time (we were inseperable in high school...life makes you drift but they just had a baby 6 months ago so they are in the parent world now LOL) so she hadn't seen my parents and decided that she'd like to tag along as I was going there quickly to pick something up. We spent over an hour visiting with my mom who was having a great time with the baby. Then we went back to Sheila's for dinner and a bday celebration for her hubby. Now normally I would be worried about what I was going to end up eating and what I would say to avoid eating certain things but I took a different approach. I've been so stressed over food and weight loss I had decided that this weekend I was going to take it easy. Not lose control like the end of last week but just simply enjoy my food...if I didn't like it then I wasn't going to eat it, etc...portion control was the key.

So we get there and the chips come out...I had a few...but not handfulls like I would have in the past...a few here or there and I didn't feel like I needed them so I didn't have much more. Then dinner started and we had some grilled chicken, home made sweet potato fries, cucumber salad, corn on the cob, strawberries and cool whip for dessert and bday cake. Well normally I would be worried a pizza was being ordered or something like that but Sheila has always been one to make yummy healthy things so that was easy for me. But I could have gone overboard on cake and I didn't. I had small portions of everything and at one point I wanted to get seconds of the chicken because it tasted soooo good but then I thought it's not because I need it it's because I want it...and I realized as I was reaching for it that I didn't want it but I WANTED it. I know that doesn't make sense. I didn't want it because I felt hungry but I WANTED it like a little kid wants the bigger slice of cake because they want more than the other kids...so I politely put my hand back in my lap and left it. Weird what old habits can do. So I felt so proud of myself in that moment...weird that it was for chicken normally it's for sweets. Then we had strawberries and yes I had a peice of the cake but I didn't have that same sense of urgency after the cake...funny maybe it's because I just went through it with the chicken...maybe I wouldn't have had the same resolve for cake...so yay for the chicken episode. I feel so weird admitting that by the way...it's so childish. I did want a little more cake but not in the same way so I opted for another spoonful of strawberries...and after the meal I was satisfied...not stuffed like I would have been in the past...and it felt great.

We went home and I was going to stay up and watch some TV with Kevin but I realized as I snuggled next to the dog on the bed (went up and got ready before I was going to watch TV) that I was pretty tired so I opted to stay in bed. Kevin had to check his blood sugar and I guess he needed something before bed because I heard him making popcorn...and then I smelled it mmmmm!!! But I asked myself if I was really hungry or was I just wanting it because he was having some. I wasn't hungry at all...so (patting myself on the back here) I stayed in bed and fell asleep...this morning I woke up and I was down 1.5 lbs!!!

Everything in moderation my friends...and really listen to your body not your mind...the mind is crazy!!! LOL. Don't listen to it.

Today I haven't eaten yet...not because I'm not hungry or am trying not to eat...I just started with chores as soon as I got up and I forgot to eat until I'm typing about it just now LOL. That could be a first for me forgetting to eat BWAHAHAHAH. Awesome! See it's not important...eat to survive don't survive to eat. Plan for the rest of today...smoothie for breakfast I think...been craving one and lunch is so soon so no point in having anything too filling. Then it's onto gardening and setting up that backyard for the summer!!! LOVE IT! Oh and Kevin has a double header later today so Becca and I will go watch him play baseball!

Things are changing around here and in a good way! Kevin sent my resume off to a couple of job postings and then told me later LOL...guess I could have interviews in my future...maybe. A couple were above my level but we'll see...can't hurt to try. And I think my "meltdown" was likely a good thing for my stress levels...forced me to take a more relaxed approach to life in general...I'm sure it'll creep back up the way it was as that's nature...but for a while I'm going to enjoy this pace.

1 comment:

  1. I opened this post this morning to read, and then got side tracked ALL DAY. Just reading it now. LOVED IT! I hope your resumes yield a job something in a line of what your dreams are, something that makes you tick.
    Awesome for you on the food too. I think that's the key. Balance. In fact, doesn't Jon Gabriel say that?!

    Proud of you.
    And onto a new week. Lets make it great!

    ReplyDelete